In some instances, being a creature of habit can actually work in your favor, especially when it comes to your skin!
If you have ever noticed someone’s vibrant, glowing skin, you can bet your bottom dollar it’s not because of their stellar genetics. In reality, people with supple skin practice good skin care habits all the time.
Continue reading to learn some of the top secret good skin care habits of highly attractive people.
Always Protect Your Skin from the Sun
One of the most important good skin care habits you can adopt is to always protect your skin from the sun.
A lifetime of exposure will cause age spots, wrinkles, and several other skin problems – as well as bolster your chances for skin cancer. You can implement good sun skincare habits by:
- Utilizing Sunscreen anytime you are outside in the sun. Make sure you use a minimum of an SPF 15. Always apply sunscreen generously and reapply every two hours. If you are swimming or sweating, you may need to apply sunscreen more often.
- Wearing Protective Clothes to properly cover your skin. Long pants, tightly woven, long-sleeved shirts, and wide-brimmed hats are the best. You may also want to research laundry additives to bolster the UV protection of your clothing.
- Stay Shady by avoiding the sun when the rays are the strongest between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- Sunless Spray Tanning is the best way to get your bronze glow without the risk of overexposure to the sun.
Clean Up Your Diet
In addition to feeling your best, a healthy diet can leave your skin looking better. Your diet should include a healthy mixture of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins.
Although the connection between acne and diet isn’t clear, most research suggests a diet high in Vitamin C and low in unhealthy fats as well as refined sugars may promote younger looking skin.
Manage Stress with Sleep
One of the cheapest, good skin care habits is to get sleep. Sleep is actually free cosmetic medicine. Nothing exacerbates stress and boosts a tired appearance like lack of sleep.
Even worse, sleep deprivation makes you cranky, negative, and even depressed, which increases those troublesome worry lines in your forehead. .
Worst of all, sleep deprivation can make your skin more sensitive and can even trigger acne breakouts. A good night’s rest leaves you and your skin feeling and looking refreshed and ready to tackle the day.
Treat Your Skin with TLC
Shaving and washing your skin on a daily basis can take it’s toll. Use good skin care habits and be sure to:
- Moisturize your skin on a regular basis. It’s best to consider a moisturizer that contains SPF. The best time to moisturize is within three minutes after you get out of the shower, when your skin is the most absorbent.
- Carefully shave and always use lubrication before you shave. When you need a clean, close shave, always use a clean razor and avoid shaving against the grain. Since shaving is actually harmful to your skin, it’s best use an electrolysis treatment.
- Use mild cleansers and avoid strong detergents and soaps because they can strip the oil away from your skin.
- Limit your bath time because long showers and hot water can remove your skin’s natural oils. Instead of taking smoldering hot showers, it’s best to take warm showers.
Smoking contributes to wrinkles and makes your skin look aged. It decreases the flow of blood to your skin cells by narrowing the blood vessels in the outermost layers of your skin.
This unfavorable process depletes your skin of nutrients and oxygen that are vital to the overall health of your skin.
Smoking also destroys the collagen and elastin in your skin. Even worse, the repeated facial expressions you make while smoking (like squinting to keep smoke out of your eyes and pursing your lips when you inhale) can also contribute to wrinkle formation.
Simply put, smoking destroys your skin and causes countless other problems to your holistic health.
Sleeping with a Humidifier
One of the best ways to eliminate dry skin is to sleep with a humidifier running every night. This simple good skin care habit can also help to reduce the environmental toxins in the air.
At the same time, a humidifier can also help you have a better night’s rest, which also helps your skin.
Visit an Esthetician to Learn Good Skin Care Habits
If you haven’t already done so, it’s vital to schedule an appointment with an esthetician. Your esthetician can educate you on the best practices and products for your skin.
Instead of purchasing the $200 serum that boasts outstanding anti-aging claims, it’s best to consult with a skin care expert for products that work.
It’s never too late to start new habits. Contact the EBJ Skin & Wellness Centre to schedule an appointment, so you can start your good skin care habits today!